Fifty cents was the Christmas gift limit and one name put in and one name drawn out of Mrs. Murphy’s basket. My fifth grade teacher taught me much that year about getting along.
I folded my name several times and on each fold wrote something like, “He’s great!” and “Fantastic person!” I drew Alan’s name and knew I would spend fifty cents on something he hopefully wouldn’t like. I didn’t care much for Alan. I didn’t know who drew my name. A little disappointed no one read my quips aloud.
On the day before Christmas break Mrs. Murphy passed out the gifts that had accumulated under the little tree. I smiled as Alan opened a box with fifty one-cent rubber balls, and tried to keep them corralled as they spilled on the floor. I was satisfied with the embarrassing laughter of the other kids.
It was my turn. I opened my carefully wrapped gift to find a small ceramic donkey. What! With disappointment I read the attached note, “Carl, you are bright and may go far in this life if you don’t make an ass of yourself.” Signed, “Mrs. Murphy.”
Friday, June 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment